How to Wash Hair Extensions:
Hair extensions have become very common nowadays. We all love them for their elegance and convenience. But, you may be wondering to yourself; what is the best way to clean the hair extensions without spoiling them? The process is not complicated, here is how you can keep it clean and maintain its luster;
1. Brush the extension with a comb. The comb you use for this purpose should have wide bristles to avoid breaking the hair strands. Brushing the hair extension will help to prevent the hair from forming knots. Ensure that you hold the bonds to give them support and prevent excessive tugging.
2. Wet the hair gradually from top to down. Wetting the hair at once will make it entangle.
3. Use a shampoo with a PH balance. Dissolve only a small quantity of the shampoo in lukewarm water and dip the hair extension into the water. Do not swirl it in the water, just leave it in for about 10 minutes. Swirling or frisking the hair extension will tangle it. You should look for a shampoo that is specifically designed for dry hair. The shampoo is meant to moisturize and nourish it.
4. Rinse it under running water to remove the shampoo and dirt residue left. Do not scrub the hair as you rinse to avoid tangling it.
5. Use a conditioner that has a PH balance as well. Choose the leave-in conditioner. Remember to use the conditioner economically.
6. Place the hair on a dry towel and gently squeeze out the excess water.
7. Leave the hair to air dry to avoid frizzing.
8. Comb it again once it is dry. Use a wide-toothed brush to prevent the hair from forming knots.
Things you need to remember while you are considering washing the hair extension
· You should not clean the hair extension daily like natural hair. You can wash it twice or thrice a week.
· You should not use the conditioner on it for more than once in one month.
· The rule can change when you have curly hair since it requires washing with only a conditioner as frequently as possible. The most recommended interval is once after two to three days.
· Use more conditioner on your extension than you would apply on natural hair because it does not grease easily.
· Failing to clean it appropriately will affect its quality and shorten its lifespan. Thus, if you want the extension to give you value for money, you should be prepared to invest in the cleaning products and ample time for cleaning it.
· Always use products that are specially manufactured for extension care to avoid curtailing its longevity. That is because it does not have access to the natural oil like natural hair does hence you cannot treat it exactly like you would with natural hair. Avoid products with alcohol in them since they can dry it up.